Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Best CHOCOLATE Frosting I’ve Ever Had

I'm writing this quick entry for a recipe for chocolate frosting...
(scroll to the bottom for just the recipe)

I bake quite often and have been in search of a frosting recipe that is versatile for decorating but also tastes amazing.  I'm not a fan of butter cream frosting, as a child my mom reminisces that I would scrape the frosting off birthday cakes & cupcakes, it's most often too sweet & buttery for me.
When preparing to make the cake & cupcakes for my son's birthday I simply googled "best frosting" and came across this recipe:

I read the article and the recipe, made a face at the computer screen then decided to try it - Oh my gosh! Delicious, this was the heaven I had been searching for all my baking life!  I added food coloring to the frosting for the cupcakes...


I also used Wilton Sugar Sheets, cut on my Cricut, to cut out the super hero symbols, (yeah it worked! - that'll be another post) .  When it came to frosting the cake I wanted a chocolate frosting as my son wanted a "superhero fight on a mountain"  I tried melting cohocolate & letting it cool mixing it in the base recipe and it was too soupy, I tried to let it cool in the fridge, frosted the cake, let it set, in the end it was just too liquidy...


Can you see it falling apart and the words sliding down!? Happy.... So slight disaster but thankfully it still tasted amazing, really!

For my next frosting adventure I was determined to create a
                             "Best CHOCOLATE Frosting I’ve Ever Had" and I did it!! 


Ingredients:
  • 5 Tablespoons Flour
  • 4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, divided
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Cup Chocolate (chips/bar whatever you like)
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Cup Butter
Mix the 5 Tablespoons of flour with 2 Tablespoons of the Cocoa Powder the 1 Cup of milk, whisk it REALLY WELL, you don't want any lumps as they will create clumps... Then in a medium saucepan heat over medium heat, stirring and whisking until the mixture is very thick.  Remove it from the heat and mix in the 1 Cup of Chocolate & the 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla until it's incorporated- then cool the mixture completely or you'll melt the butter. You can do this a head of time, put it in the fridge, cool in a water bath or stick it in and out of the freezer stirring every few minutes (what I usually do because I am so impatient!)

Meanwhile cream the 1 Cup of Butter, 1 Cup, 2 Sticks of butter and last 2 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder once creamed (she sugar will still be grainy) add the flour mixture & beat on medium high until it looks like whipped cream, I've beat it anywhere from 45 seconds - a minute and a half, test until you're happy with it :) then frost!  It refrigerates well & tastes like a chocolate mousse frosting, amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment